Find out if Invisalign® is right for you!
How Invisalign® Treatment Works
Your Invisalign® clear aligners are custom-made for you. The aligners are virtually invisible and fit snugly over your teeth. Each aligner shifts your teeth slightly, moving them horizontally and vertically and even rotating them when needed. Your aligners are engineered to use the right amount of force in the right place at the right time. When you change to the next set of aligners your teeth gradually move into position, following a custom treatment plan mapped out by your doctor.
What to Expect from Invisalign®
If you or your teen choose Invisalign®, your dentist will first take digital impressions of all of your teeth. Your practitioner will then display the images on a computer screen, where he or she will design your aligner trays. Your dentist will also show you how your teeth will shift throughout your treatment. The designs will then go off to an Invisalign® lab, where technicians will create your aligners. Once you receive the trays, you will wear each one for about two weeks. Each aligner will exert a different force on your dental arches. The slight pressure of the trays will gradually shift your teeth into new positions. In most cases, Invisalign® treatment will take about a year to a year and a half. However, this will depend on your particular needs and response to orthodontia.
Advantages to Invisalign®
- Virtually invisible teeth straightening
- Easy access to brushing and flossing
- Less irritation to gums and cheeks
- Minimal disruption to daily life activities and socializing
- Attractive orthodontic option for all age groups
Disadvantages to Invisalign®
- Patient compliance is a huge component in the success of Invisalign® treatment
- Conventional treatment may work more effectively in some orthodontic cases